Do you ever hear a song and suddenly feel really empowered and confident? Maybe you don't; maybe it's just me. I might just be making myself look like a mad person here (well actually, I AM) but I thought some one, somewhere might be able to relate to this.
I know songs can make people feel happy, sad, hopeful or calm, but what about confident?
Sometimes, a certain song will come on, maybe on my iPod, or a pub jukebox, or the radio, and something comes over me. It's hard to explain. It's like a layer of self-consciousness is peeled away. Sometimes I play myself one of these songs before a job interview, or appraisal, or even social situations I feel apprehensive about.
Anyway, enough of the psychobabble, here are ten of my most confidence-boosting songs:
1. Do Your Thing - Basement Jaxx
2. Venus - Shocking Blue/Bananarama
3. Freebird - Lynyrd Skynyrd (note to self: must make a post about this band <3)
4. She's Not There - Santana (" " ")
5. One Way Or Another - Blondie
6. Baby I Don't Care - Transvision Vamp
7. You Know I'm No Good - Amy Winehouse
8. I Know I Can - Nas
9. Strong Enough - Cher
And of course...
10. I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
Just to add a bit about that last one, at the time Gloria Gaynor recorded that song, she had been in a terrible skiing accident and her mother had recently died, which is why it's so powerful, in my opinion.